Friday, February 7, 2014

Digital Storytelling

Hi Everyone!

This week in ICT we have continued to use different websites and applications to edit and display our personal photos through digital storytelling. Our task for this week is to create a "one sentence story" using one of these applications and some of our personal photos. One of my passions is travel and because of this I am going to make a slideshow of all (or some of) the places I have been. This will be a great way to get my task done and organize some trip photos so I can show them to my classmates, friends, and family. Although the concept of digital story telling is new to me, it really is not. If you think about it any of us that have Facebook, Instagram, or Snapchat are really always telling the story of our lives digitally. I am one of these people, I take a million pictures and I enjoy sharing them with my friends and family. Now that I am a teacher in training though, I am careful what pictures I put on these different social networks. Safety on the internet is something that I will teach my students first and foremost when using technology.

Speaking of safety when using technology, I have continued reading chapters from Kathy Cassidy's book Connected from the Start: Global Learning in the Primary Grades. The ideas she has about using technology in the classroom continue to surprise and intrigue me. Kathy started her journey in the 90's when there was still so much we did not know about computers and the internet, which I consider very brave. She gives great tips about how to introduce your students to the internet and how to effectively and appropriately use technology and online applications, such as personal blogs. I believe that teaching students this safety at a young age and modelling how things should be used for our students will grow much more responsible and safe future technology users.

Peace and Love

                                             

1 comment:

  1. You are so right - using sites like facebook & instagram are about telling stories - nice perspective!

    ReplyDelete